Poem: The King and the Streetsweeper

Good King Daedalus looked down
On a bright new morning
When the birds flew roundabout
Singing and then dancing
Hotly shone the sun that day
June was starting soon
When he saw a person pray
'Fore the swept trash left strewn

"Come my wife and stand by me
If thou know'st it, telling
Yonder worker, who is he?
Where and what his calling?"
Lord, he sweeps the streets by day
Every morn, unmissing
In heat or cold, come what may
Always, with lips, praising

"How am I to match this man?
When I use deception?
As king, I wish I was with God
With this sweeper's passion"
The good King's heart grew sadder now
He looked up in shame
The humble sweeper stuck him how
His golden crown felt leaden

But then the Lord looked down on him
Bursting clouds asunder
The Spirit filled him up to brim
And his heart gre warmer
"Come, my son, and stand by Me
Wealth or rank possessing
I shall not look down on thee
You, yourself, find blessing"

Comments

Popular Posts